Aurora Prize for Writing 2020 – Terms and Conditions
The opening date for the competition is Monday, 30th March 2020.
The closing date of the competition is Monday 8th June 2020 at Midnight.
- There is no limit on the number of entries.
- No alterations can be made to poems or stories once entered.
- Entries must not have been published before (including self-published, published on a website or broadcast in any way).
- All entries will be online, and only accepted through Submittable – via www.writingeastmidlands.co.uk.
- Entrants must be aged 18+.
- Entries must be written in English.
- We welcome international entries, but they must be written in English.
- Non-cash prizes are not transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash.
- Writing School East Midlands course will be delivered as a voucher to the value of £75 (which is not transferable for cash).
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the decision.
- Writing East Midlands reserves the right to change the judges without notice.
Poems and Short Fiction
- Entries can be on any subject.
- All entries are judged anonymously so the writer’s name must not appear on the work itself or in the file title – any submissions which feature the writer’s name will be disqualified without a refund.
- All poems must have a title and must not exceed 60 lines (excluding title).
- All stories must have a title and must not exceed 2000 words (excluding title).
- Stories should be 2.0 line spaced, 12 point font.
- Poems and stories must be the original work of the entrant.
- The first poem/story submitted costs £9.00 Subsequent entries by the same writer cost £7.00 per poem/story.
- Payments must be made in £ sterling.
There will be a shortlist of 10 poems and 10 short stories which will go forward to a final round of judging.
- The copyright of each shortlisted poem or story remains with the author. Authors of the winning poems or stories, by entering the competition, grant Writing East Midlands the right to publish the work on its website/social media and use it in promotional material thereafter.
- Prizewinners will be notified by the end of September 2020 (we reserve the right to change this date in light of the current issues with COVID-19)
- The copyright of each poem or story remains with the author. Authors of the winning poems or stories, by entering the competition, grant Writing East Midlands the right to publish it on its website/social media and use it in promotional material thereafter.
- Entry implies acceptance of the rules. Failure to comply with all the rules will result in disqualification.
Writing East Midlands is unable to pay travel and accommodation costs for winners attending the prize giving.