Aurora: Poetry & Short Story Open Competition – Rules
- The closing date of the competition is 31st March 2017
- There is no limit on the number of entries
- Postal entries must be accompanied by an entry form
- Entries will not be returned, so please do keep a copy
- No alterations can be made to poems or stories once entered
- Entries must not have been published before (including self-published, published on a website or broadcast in any way)
- Entries should be typed and printed on A4 paper (one side only)
- Online entries will only be accepted through Submittable
- Entrants must be aged 18+
- Entries must be written in English. Translations are not eligible
- Entries to the Stonewood regional prize must be indicated on the entry form
- Entries to the Stonewood regional prize will be included for judging in the main prize at no extra cost
- Writing School East Midlands vouchers will be to the value of £130.
- Non-cash prizes are not transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Writing East Midlands reserves the right to change the judges without notice
Poems and Short Fiction
- Entries can be on any subject
- All entries are judged anonymously so the writer’s name must not appear on the work itself or in the file title of online entries
- All poems must have a title and must not exceed 40 lines (excluding title)
- All stories must have a title and must not exceed 2000 words (excluding title). Stories should be 2.0 line spaced, 12 point font
- Poems and stories must be the original work of the entrant.
- The first poem/story submitted costs £7.00 Subsequent entries in the same submission cost £6 per poem/story.
- Payments must be made in £ sterling. Please make cheques payable to ‘Writing East Midlands.
- Prizewinners will be notified by end May 2017
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. Authors of the winning poems or stories, by entering the competition, grant Writing East Midlands the right to publish it in a digital anthology on its website and use it in promotional material
- Entry implies acceptance of the rules. Failure to comply with all the rules will result in disqualification.
Writing East Midlands is unable to pay travel and accommodation costs for winners attending the prize giving.
Aurora Competition, Writing East Midlands, 32a Stoney St, The Lace Market, Nottingham. NG1 1LL.