We reserve the right to return work which would be unlikely at this stage to benefit from the Critical Reading Service. We will only put forward writers in the East Midlands. Please note that the selection panel’s decision is final and the panel reserves the right not to enter into further correspondence about its decisions. Unfortunately we don’t have the resources to offer feedback on submissions.
*Applicants can only apply once every two years. Applications are now open and will be awarded on a first come first serve basis. Please note that the Critical Reads Scheme is very popular and we have limited funds service, therefore it is advisable that if you are eligible you apply early for consideration. *
- Complete the APPLICATION FORM and enclose a short sample of the work.
- Post two copies of the completed form, two copies of your proof of financial circumstances and one printed sample of your work to Writing East Midlands at the address:
Writing East Midlands
Unit 4, The Garage Studios
41-43 St Mary’s Gate
ALL submissions MUST be formatted in 12-point font, double spaced (excluding poetry).
Your sample of work should be no more than 200 lines of poetry or 6,000 words for short stories or a 1-2 page synopsis and up to 30 pages for a script, or a 1-2 page synopsis and up to 15000 words of double-spaced words for general fiction.
• For poetry – clients must include a total word count for each poem at the bottom of each poem, and include total word count of all the poems added together on the cover letter. Poems should be formatted in their intended publication format.
• For short stories – please include the total word count of each short story separately if necessary on the cover letter. A maximum of 6000 words is accepted per total submission, not per short story.
• For all fiction and non-fiction extracts – please include a 1-2 page synopsis or basic outline of your ideas and a description of your intended audience/ market. Please also indicate what genre you are writing in and include a total word count.
• All extracts should be consecutive and numbered. Ideally starting from page one, and not comprised of several extracts.
• Texts must be printed out in 12 point standard font, double spaced, on one side of A4, preferably in loose sheets, with each page numbered.
• Please do not put your name on the manuscript.
• Always keep a copy of what you send. Writing East Midlands does not accept responsibility for documents lost in the post.
• The service is available throughout the year. Applicants may use the service only once every two years.
We reserve the right to return work which would be unlikely at this stage to benefit from the Critical Read Scheme. We will only put forward writers in the East Midlands. Please note that the selection panel’s decision is final and the panel reserves the right not to enter into further correspondence about its decisions. Unfortunately we don’t have the resources to offer individual feedback on submissions.
- TLC can refuse any material which is deemed unlikely to benefit from the critical reading service or if a reader finds that a submission has been previously published or if we cannot find a suitable editor for your work. If your work is not accepted, it will be returned within 30 days if there is an SAE provided.
• We accept only single authored work.
• We accept only writing in English.
• The applicant should not be part of a creative writing programme or longer writing course.
• Applicants must be over 16 and live in the East Midlands.
How much will it cost?
The service is free.
How long will it take?
For acknowledgement of receipt please enclose a stamped S.A.E. The report will be sent to you within 14 weeks.
For any enquiries about the Critical Read Service, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org